Ski Trip (Grades 6 & 7) A superfantastic day... I have not heard one negative comment from the students. The only thing mentioned that could be a possibility for next year was that it take place over 2 days. Both the students and staff mentioned this. While I would love to do a 2 day Ski trip for the 6 & 7's I believe that would be better for Grade 8's. A long but fun filled and exciting day for all of us I think!
Ski trip:(I will put these in my ski file) 1. We should outline the hazards for first time snowboarders very clearly and strongly encourage first timers to ski instead of snowboarding. 2. We should probably take only the Grade 7 students skiing(most of our injuries were Grade 6 students). I reccomend organizing a winter camp for the Grade 6 students at a location near the city like Camp Assiniboia. It need only be one overnight and two days. I volunteer to organize it if we go ahead with it. 3. We should probably go somewhere closer to the city so the ratio of skiing to bus riding is better. The cost will also be lower. We could out to Asessippi every other year or plan for a 2 day trip to make it worth the bus trip.
The ski trip was a lot of fun but a very long day. I would go again , but would like us to look at a closer venue if it exists. The tubing hill was a great alternative for those who didn't want to board or ski. Any new venue would have to have something like that, because not all kids want to ski or board. If we force kids into skiing or boarding we just might have more beginner-type accidents.
I thought it went pretty well, almost without a hitch. Injuries were the only real problem. Unavoidable I'd say.
One thing that was unfortunate was that on our bus (Sahulka/ Wall), the DVD/VHS was broken. I think that long of a ride without entertainment may have led the kids to be a little restless. Again, not much could have been done about it.
Another thought I had was that though Holiday Mountain is not quite as nice, it is almost 2 hours closer. It would be a toss up I guess, on having more time to ski, or more/longer runs to go on.
All in all, I thought the trip was a success and was enjoyed by everyone. Thanks again for setting it up so I could be a part of the day.
It was a great day. Students, who were tubing, enjoyed themselves completely. We need to look at the injury situation due to information that I received from the ski patrol. After taking several students to the ski patrol Medical room, I was introduced to a map of injuries that indicated that 80% of all injuries were to novice snowboarders on the Bunny Hill. Experienced boarders were not likely to sustain injuries. The other 20% of injuries at Assessippi were to experienced skiers on advanced runs. We might want to promote novices to ski or tube next year. Another issue was the length of the trip to the hill. That seems to be more of a concern to teachers than students who enjoyeed every minute of their bus ride and were for the most part well behaved. Bob
6 Comments:
Ski Trip (Grades 6 & 7) A superfantastic day... I have not heard one negative comment from the students. The only thing mentioned that could be a possibility for next year was that it take place over 2 days. Both the students and staff mentioned this. While I would love to do a 2 day Ski trip for the 6 & 7's I believe that would be better for Grade 8's. A long but fun filled and exciting day for all of us I think!
By
Anonymous, at 11:27 PM
Ski trip:(I will put these in my ski file)
1. We should outline the hazards for first time snowboarders very clearly and strongly encourage first timers to ski instead of snowboarding.
2. We should probably take only the Grade 7 students skiing(most of our injuries were Grade 6 students). I reccomend organizing a winter camp for the Grade 6 students at a location near the city like Camp Assiniboia. It need only be one overnight and two days. I volunteer to organize it if we go ahead with it.
3. We should probably go somewhere closer to the city so the ratio of skiing to bus riding is better. The cost will also be lower. We could out to Asessippi every other year or plan for a 2 day trip to make it worth the bus trip.
By
Anonymous, at 11:29 PM
The ski trip was a lot of fun but a very long day. I would go again , but would like us to look at a closer venue if it exists. The tubing hill was a great alternative for those who didn't want to board or ski. Any new venue would have to have something like that, because not all kids want to ski or board. If we force kids into skiing or boarding we just might have more beginner-type accidents.
By
Anonymous, at 11:35 PM
*8 hours on the bus for 4 hours of skiing/boarding is quite long
*students really enjoyed their experience
*Asessippi staff were well organized
*recommend a closer location for more instruction and 'on hill' time even if tubing is not available
By
Anonymous, at 11:36 PM
I thought it went pretty well, almost without a hitch. Injuries were the only real problem. Unavoidable I'd say.
One thing that was unfortunate was that on our bus (Sahulka/ Wall), the DVD/VHS was broken. I think that long of a ride without entertainment may have led the kids to be a little restless. Again, not much could have been done about it.
Another thought I had was that though Holiday Mountain is not quite as nice, it is almost 2 hours closer. It would be a toss up I guess, on having more time to ski, or more/longer runs to go on.
All in all, I thought the trip was a success and was enjoyed by everyone. Thanks again for setting it up so I could be a part of the day.
By
Anonymous, at 11:38 PM
It was a great day. Students, who were tubing, enjoyed themselves completely.
We need to look at the injury situation due to information that I received from the ski patrol.
After taking several students to the ski patrol Medical room, I was introduced to a map of injuries that indicated that 80% of all injuries were to novice snowboarders on the Bunny Hill. Experienced boarders were not likely to sustain injuries. The other 20% of injuries at Assessippi were to experienced skiers on advanced runs.
We might want to promote novices to ski or tube next year.
Another issue was the length of the trip to the hill. That seems to be more of a concern to teachers than students who enjoyeed every minute of their bus ride and were for the most part well behaved. Bob
By
Anonymous, at 9:30 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home