VW Staff Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Letter from a parent - ACTION STAR

Mr. Burns,
I am glad to see the Parent Council is hosting an information session on bullying in schools, it is a topic parents need to understand so we can all work together to prevent this becoming an issue for VW. I thought I’d let you know about an incident that is on the opposite side of the spectrum, an act of kindness by a VW student.
My daughter Sinead is in Mme. Regnier’s Kindergarten class. One morning last week, Sinead was one of the last students to disembark from the school bus and she fell a few steps after getting off the bus. Sinead said the bus driver hadn’t noticed because the bus had already started to pull away. Sinead was a little hurt and she started to cry. An older student, a girl, came back to help. According to Sinead, this older girl helped her up, made her feel better then held her hand and walked her to the Kindergarten hallway. When I ask my kids about their day and they tell a story like this I get a sense of relief that they are in a school with a good student body. I realize there will be bad days and my kids will have unpleasant experiences at school but hopefully the good days will out number the bad ones and my kids will learn to follow the examples of kindness (the best lesson to learn from school). Sinead doesn’t know the girl’s name and she may not be able to recognize her again, so the act of kindness will likely go unacknowledged. I think we’ll take it as a lesson in kindness and hope it continues to spread.
It is likely that you only hear parents discuss the bad experiences at school and I thought you might appreciate finding an example of a student who is not only following the motto of ‘reaching for the stars’ but is also reaching out to a another student.

Dorothy Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home